Pages

Powered By Blogger

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Fried Green Tomatoes, Angie's Way

I wasn't too hungry this morning so I just had a bowl of cereal.  I got a bit distracted so the milk was all soaked up with cereal when I went back to it.  Here doggy, doggy.  I tried eating the rest of it, but had a difficult time.  So Marley had a small treat.

By lunchtime I was hungry as a bear.  What to eat?  Hmm.  Ah, my daughter brought me 2 green tomatoes from her garden.  I had strict instructions that I wouldn't get a green one until at least one tomato turned red and she ate it.  Her tomatoes began to turn red, but I think the dog ate the first one!  The dog thought the tomatoes were her own personal supply of play balls.  She 'picked' a green one and got chastised for grabbing the red one.  To my daughter's surprise the dog sat and ate the red one.

So lunch today was fried green tomatoes and a glass of milk.

I only ate my first one last summer.  I was experimenting with my tomatoes and thought I had been stubborn enough for long enough.  I didn't like the sound of the name, so I would never try them.  I will say I have been cheating myself for years.  They are delicious.  Sweet and warm.  Salted just right, they are a delight.  It took me moving to the South and hearing everyone talking about them to try them.  Did I say how good and delicious they are?

I'm not sure if I make them correctly because I just made up the recipe.  I am satisfied with the outcome.  Maybe you will be, too.

Fried Green Tomatoes, Angie's Way

1 medium green tomato, thinly sliced
1/2 C bread crumbs
2 T flour
1 large egg
2 T milk
Salt. pepper, parsley to taste
Oil for frying (I use only enough to cover the bottom of the pan.  Olive oil is not a good choice as it has a low burn rate. (Ask me how I know.  Let's just say the fire department was very helpful.)

Grab two plates and one bowl.  In the bowl beat the egg and milk until mixed well.  On one plate put the flour.  On the other mix the bread crumbs and spices together.

Heat the oil until a speck of water splashed in it sizzles.  (Just a speck.)  Coat the slices on both sides in the flour, then the egg, and finally the bread crumbs.  Place in hot oil.  Cook on one side about 2 to 3 minutes, then turn.  Place on a paper towel or brown paper bag to remove excess oil.  Splash a bit of salt on the surface and enjoy.  A small amount of jam on top is also yummy good.

Let me know if you've tried them and what you think.  It would be interesting to hear about the different experiences.


The finished product.  Total time spent cooking and preparing was less than 10 minutes.

I forgot to put the flour in the picture.  I think you get the idea, though.


No comments:

Post a Comment